HowtoRaiseQuail.com

Raising Quail Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to forum and new to quail!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:15 am 

Hi,

I just picked up 6 button quail from a lady who was selling them off of Craigslist as a distress (moving) sale.

All 6 were in one wire cage with fake green grass flooring. It was clean enough when I picked them up this afternoon, but after an hour or so, there was poop EVERYWHERE and I noticed that #1, they were eating the poop?!? and #2, some of it wasn't a firm poop, it was kind of wet and ran a little.

I don't know if I'd call it diarrhea but it was definately looser. I didn't see any blood or anything.

They were doing a lOT of fluffing of feathers and preening/itching?

One has a bald spot on the head and I don't know why? The lady that had them was obviously no quail expert.

I am wondering if I should get some kind of wormer or antibiotic or something to maybe clean them out of anything they might have..what do you think?

I was also wondering if they might have mites...should I offer them a pan of sand or wood ashes for a dust bath like a chicken would?

Clearly these are my first quail and I don't know that they are the healthiest at this point. I do not have any other birds at this time, so there is no problem of anything spreading. I am just wondering if I should treat them with anything "just in case."

I appreciate anything you can tell me!

Also, is there any way to feed them healthfully on natural foods like seeds/berries/bugs, etc..without giving them that bagged stuff? I'd like to be as natural as possible and avoid as much processed food if I could.

Oh, and I took them out of that yucky cage and put them in pairs in big rubber maid tubs with pine shavings and mesh tops.

Thanks,
Kelli

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New to forum and new to quail!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:43 pm 
Hi!
It sounds like your birds were stressed from the trip. I would not pre-treat them with anything - just give them some food and water, and let them calm down. Hopefully all is well now. Can you post an update? Are they still having loose stools?
-Spooks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:12 pm 

They seem a bit more happy now. Like I said in the previous post, I moved them from the one cage to bins with wood shavings in pairs.

They seem pleased with the pairings. I also gave them some sand and they are very happy with it.

I am not happy with how their water fills up with the wood shavings, though. I'd like to use test tube waterers but with the plastic bins I'm not sure how to rig them up.

One thing on a not so positive note....the first night they were here we got 4 eggs like an hour after we brought them home.

The last 2 nights we've only gotten 1. I'm not sure if it is because of the stress of being moved or what? Last night I left the light on till like 10 pm. We'll see.

I think the poops are better. I am worried that they will get cocci because they always are running through and spilling the water everywhere. Then I have to stress them out with the changing of the wet shavings?

Thanks!

Kelli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:05 am 
Kelli,

Welcome to the world of Quail keepers and the forum :-)

The bold spot on the top of the quail is likely a mark of frequent mounting (or attempts) by a male in the group. When they mount a female they typically hold on to head and neck feathers and some of the females will get bold spots. Typically this will heal pretty soon when given the opportunity (putting her apart or so).

As for the wet shavings, there are waterers on the market that can hang rather then stand, this will reduce the likely hood of water spilling as well as wood shavings getting in to the waterer itself. I am sure that the wet underground is uncomfortable but also increase the changes of bacteria spreading.

I am not sure what your concern with processed gamebird feed is but there are several good ones (non-medicated) out there you might want to familiarize yourself with. Alternatively you can feed them birdseeds (for game birds, turkey or finches),cracked corn, some fresh greens (like spinach) or fruit and insects that you can buy from your local pet store like mealworms and crickets for proteins. I would also recommend to add calcium in either the form of crushed egg shells or oyster shells for egg production.

I hope this helps,
NC_Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:49 pm 
I've had 3 button quail for about a month now and there still very scared of me. Does anyone have a way to tame them. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:29 am 
Aceykid: The quail will eventually get used to you, but they will NEVER be tame. Sorry. Sad You just have to handle them (gently) as much as you can to get them used to you.

Kelli: The bald spot on their heads could also be from them popping up and hitting their heads on the top of the cage they were in previously. Or from overmating, as NC_Mike said.
They need fine sand/grit to help digest their food, so I can assure you that they will love you to death if you put a tray of clean sand in their cage. I wouldn't worry so much about cocci, as the oocytes are usually found in soil. If these have been kept on wire/in shavings, they shouldn't get it unless the shavings have been contaminated. Try the hanging waterer, or the soda-pop bottle waterers (www.gundogsupply.com has them... http://www.gundogsupply.com/-4449-2-.html) I use these on all my quail, and they work great. Cheap, too!
They need protein, and lots of it. Your best bet is to find a good gamebird feed with 24-30% protein, and supplement with crumbled egg, finch seeds, fruit and veggies.
It sounds like they have a lovely home now... congratulations! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:07 pm 
Should I give them sand or grit. The person I got them from never did. And another thing should I give them boiled egg as a source of calcium? Sorry I've been asking a lot of questions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:48 am 
Global Moderator

Aceykid wrote:
Should I give them sand or grit. The person I got them from never did. And another thing should I give them boiled egg as a source of calcium? Sorry I've been asking a lot of questions.

Give them some grit, Boiled eggs is a good source of calcium. Ask all the questions you want, we are all here to help one another.

mark

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:24 pm 
If you give them a pan of sand to fluff in, they'll use that as grit, too. Chopped up boiled egg is a good protein source, but the calcium is mostly in the shell. Save your eggshells and dry them. Throw them in the blender to grind them up fine, then mix into your gamebird feed. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:47 pm 
And they wouldn't lay eggs in a 1 1/2x1ft. cage would they