HowtoRaiseQuail.com

Raising Quail Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raising Quail
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:46 pm 
I am trying to get started in raising quail. I do not want to hatch my own right now. On my place I have a 20x40 barn that I am converting into fly pens with a room basicly. For a newby what would be the best way to brood my birds? I am thinking about using the plastic tubs, but with that I can only have 10 to 15 birds in one tub (from everything I am reading). Can I convert the room in the barn into a room to use as a brooder? When I get finished with the incloser it will be insulated and everything. Your should I just stick to raising them in the garage until they are old enough to turn loose in the fly pen? Anyone sell day old chicks? Any help would be nice. Thanks
CSRanch Mr. Green

Post subject: Re: Raising Quail
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:31 pm 
Global Moderator

csranch wrote:
I am trying to get started in raising quail. I do not want to hatch my own right now. On my place I have a 20x40 barn that I am converting into fly pens with a room basicly. For a newby what would be the best way to brood my birds? I am thinking about using the plastic tubs, but with that I can only have 10 to 15 birds in one tub (from everything I am reading). Can I convert the room in the barn into a room to use as a brooder? When I get finished with the incloser it will be insulated and everything. Your should I just stick to raising them in the garage until they are old enough to turn loose in the fly pen? Anyone sell day old chicks? Any help would be nice. Thanks
CSRanch Mr. Green

First off welcome to the site. I used to raise 200-300 Coturnix Quail in the biggest plastic tubs I could find and they worked great. Your insulated room would work pefect you can keep it one big room or divide the floor space up into smaller sections and use multiple heat lamps and feeders. I know a few guys that have a similar setup that use the propane brooders for heat source. I dont have any day old chicks, I have ordered from B&D Game bird Farm http://www.bdfarm.com/ real nice folks.

Mark

Image Image

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:56 am 
Can you please tell me about these plastic tubs?? I am new at this as well. 9 babies about a week old. I bought three silvers, three black and three white. I am hoping to keep them inside with my other birds in their own cages or maybe tubs if possible.
Thank you!
Wendy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:45 am 
Global Moderator

wendy wrote:
Can you please tell me about these plastic tubs?? I am new at this as well. 9 babies about a week old. I bought three silvers, three black and three white. I am hoping to keep them inside with my other birds in their own cages or maybe tubs if possible.
Thank you!
Wendy

Wendy,

I used RubberMaid Totes as my brooder boxes for my quail. They are pretty easy to use and clean up. I attached a light socket to one side of the tote with a 75 watt bulb for heat. I cut part of the top out and attached cage wire to it. to control the heat I use a piece of glass on the lid and slide it back and forth until the temp stays constant.

Mark

By the way welcome to the site, we are all here to help one another

Image Image

Profile Send private message