HowtoRaiseQuail.com

Raising Quail Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raisin Quail for business purposes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:10 pm 
Hello all, well a couple of months ago me and my wife was thinking on raising quail for business purposes, we are planning on start like every person, small quantities first, we are talking on buying a battery of breeding pens from GQF, the ones are designated for laying, it comes 5 breeding pens on each battery, I have my own incubator (Humidaire) to incubate the eggs, and then start from there.
I have a couple of questions: #1 : Does any one knows whats the best breed of quail for meat and egg production for year round? from where I can get the hatching eggs? I have heard a lot about the Texas A&M Quail but I'm still confused. #2 : We live in Houston, Texas, does any one know if the weather can help me or not? it will affect or help my production?
Me and my wife have the idea to sell the meat to the restaurants, and maybe do the eggs pickled on jars, we really need to do some extra income, if any one knows any info regarding this please let me know, I'll be very pleased for any documentary information regarding this business, here is my e-mail saabranch@yahoo.com , thank you very much for your attention to this posting and have a great one!

Post subject: Re: Raisin Quail for business purposes
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:26 pm 
Global Moderator

saabranch wrote:
Hello all, well a couple of months ago me and my wife was thinking on raising quail for business purposes, we are planning on start like every person, small quantities first, we are talking on buying a battery of breeding pens from GQF, the ones are designated for laying, it comes 5 breeding pens on each battery, I have my own incubator (Humidaire) to incubate the eggs, and then start from there.
I have a couple of questions: #1 : Does any one knows whats the best breed of quail for meat and egg production for year round? from where I can get the hatching eggs? I have heard a lot about the Texas A&M Quail but I'm still confused. #2 : We live in Houston, Texas, does any one know if the weather can help me or not? it will affect or help my production?
Me and my wife have the idea to sell the meat to the restaurants, and maybe do the eggs pickled on jars, we really need to do some extra income, if any one knows any info regarding this please let me know, I'll be very pleased for any documentary information regarding this business, here is my e-mail saabranch@yahoo.com , thank you very much for your attention to this posting and have a great one!

I know some use Bobwhite Quail for meat and egg production, but you have to check on permits for them. As for selling to restaurants that may be harder than you think, I have read that the food service inspector needs to check your facility before allowing you to sell to restaurants. Hatching eggs can be found online at alot of places, I use these guys for my eggs http://bdfarm.com/, there are others, I have had problems with guys on Ebay.

Mark

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Raisin Quail for business purposes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:37 am 
Thank you for the advise Mark, I appreciated your honesty and also I have heard a few bad things about Ebay too, I hope I can start my little farm soon, again thanx!