HowtoRaiseQuail.com

Raising Quail Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Financial aspect of raising quail
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:37 am 
Global Moderator

Has anyone started feeling the financial crunch of raising birds due to the high price of materials. I know I have seen the cost of feed in Missouri go up several dollars since the begining of the year. I have also seen the price of electric and propane double on my bird raising end of things. I have noticed on several other Quail message boards that people are getting out of raising birds due to the rising cost of materials. I know a guy at work that raises 15,000-20,000 bobwhites a year, he is planning on cutting back the amount he raises due the increased cost of his supplies and materials. I know he released about 5,000 birds into the wild to keep his cost down.

Mark

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Financial aspect of raising quail
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:19 pm 

Hi Mark...
l think alot has to do with whether your raising quail as a hobby or for profit...
We have stayed small for now, we want to build up slowly...we want to make sure that we can handle everything without feeling any financial hardship...
lf anyone else would like to add.......

Ladyquail07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:16 am 
Global Moderator

Ladyquail07,

I am raising them for hobby. My current stock of Quail has doubled over the past month, I have now 150 Coturnix Quail and 75 Button Quail. By this time next year I plan have a few clients set up with a supply of Coturnix for Dog Training and Bird Hunts.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I don't want to get into politics or anything so I will stay with the business end. The monopoly that the oil companies have and their prices affect every single product produced on the planet, in some way or another.

So then there is the trickle down effect. Every business is affected in some way with rising costs. It may be the cost of receiving their products with the rising cost in shipping or the rising cost to fuel their machinery to produce their product. I think you get the idea.

Every business in the chain wants to maintain their profit margin. They have to, so they can stay in business. So each link in the chain has to begin raising their prices, not to lose profit margin. Then the last link in the chain is the consumer. If they want the product they have to pay the price or do without.

So if you are raising quail as a hobby, you are part of that last link and eat the cost or find a different hobby. If you are raising quail as a business then you raise your prices to keep your profit margin and have the last link eat the higher costs.

Mark, the statement I made about finding a different hobby is not directed at you it is just a general statement to make a point.

The cost of keeping quail over the winter is why I promote trying to keep track of your producing quail and the quail that are just overhead. If you are raising quail to make money, you need to pay attention and keep track of the quail that will make you money and the quail that are just costing you money. Then clean out the overhead.

With Coturnix quail as fast as they mature and reproduce, I don't know that I would feed any of them over the winter unless I was going to start them back up again in January. For the most part they all become a liability after 8 months anyway.

These are just my thoughts. When I get on the subject of higher prices and the cause, I usually lose control. I did my best not to.

To Learn More About Raising Quail Visit:
http://www.howtoraisequail.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:14 pm 
Well stated Gary:
Did you see Exxon/Mobiles profit report for 2007?
For anyone who may have missed it, it was $40.6 BILLION!!!!!!!!!!
Now as I am not a shareholder, (who made out like bandits this year) and just an end user, You are most Certainly NOT welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:26 pm 
Gary, could you explain a little more what you mean about the Coturnix quail becoming a "liability" after 8 months? Is that because the fertility/production drops after 8 months? If I'm planning on raising them and still making some profit, would it be best to hatch new ones late in the summer, then either sell the older birds or put them in the freezer? I'm just curious. I'm new to this breed, and trying to do some planning ahead. We're already filling the freezer with chicken, and soon the salmon will be running, so squeezing a few quail in there won't hurt a thing.
Thank you so much for your help~
Victoria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:16 pm 
Global Moderator

Anyone feeling the crunch from the high prices of goods. Here are some numbers from my records that I keep month to month.

Mark

Here are some Figures from some of my Bills for a month 2007:

Gamebird Starter 3 bags - $22.50
Gamebird Finisher 5 bags - $42.50
Water Bill Birds Only - $50.00
Electric Bill Birds Only - $90.00
Total - $205.00

Misc. Expenses
Heat Light Bulbs - $12.00
Shavings - $15.00
Terramycin - $5.00
Total - $32.00

Monthly Total - $237.00

Here are some Figures from my March 2008 Bill:

Gamebird Starter 3 bags - $32.25
Gamebird Finisher 5 bags - $56.25
Water Bill Birds Only - $75.00
Electric Bill Birds Only - $130.00
Total - $293.50

Misc. Expenses
Heat Light Bulbs - $17.50
Shavings - $20.00
Terramycin - $8.50
Total - $46.00

Monthly Total - $339.50

Here are some Figures from my June 2008 Bill:

Gamebird Starter 3 bags - $37.50
Gamebird Finisher 5 bags - $62.50
Water Bill Birds Only - $80.00
Electric Bill Birds Only - $150.00
Total - $330.00

Misc. Expenses
Heat Light Bulbs - $16.00
Shavings - $24.00
Terramycin - $8.00
Total - $48.00

Monthly Total - $378.00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:39 am 
Those numbers would scare the crap out of me if I didn't know how many birds you have, Mark... you might want to include that piece of information, otherwise no one will try to raise them! LOL! Those bills look similar to mine, but I have ~170 birds (chickens, quail, turkeys and ducks...)
Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:04 am 
Global Moderator

AKchickie wrote:
Those numbers would scare the crap out of me if I didn't know how many birds you have, Mark... you might want to include that piece of information, otherwise no one will try to raise them! LOL! Those bills look similar to mine, but I have ~170 birds (chickens, quail, turkeys and ducks...)
Smile

That covers about 200 Coturnix and 30 Button Quail. I will be thinning down my flock of adult birds this week by taking some to an Exotic Animal Sale this Thurs thru Sat. That still leaves a big amount of babies and adults.

According to the weather man we are suppose to be in the upper 90's all week, My birds go thru a 5 gallon bucket of water a day during those temps.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:01 am 
My, I am just starting out with just 9 babies. Good thing Surprised)
My aviary consists of a variety of birds though and put them all together and it can get costly. Only because I buy the best foods though.
I think from the sounds of it, I will stick to just the hobby end of it all:o)
Great post!
Wendy