HowtoRaiseQuail.com

Raising Quail Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quail Help PLEASE!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:32 pm 

I got 6 quail to start with. I told the person I wanted 5 females and 1 male. I trusted the guy knew how to sex them but unfortunately he did not. I had lost one quail early on, he escaped the quail pen I build when I had the door open. The 5 that were left were doing great for a while. Then all of a sudden one of them were beating the crap out of two of them. So I looked up the information about how quail react to each other and all and found out how to sex them last night. This morning I found two of the quail in the nesting box almost none responsive. They were still alive, but one had a pretty bad wound on her head/neck area. And the other looked like the eyes were having problems.

I checked the other birds that looked fine and found out they were males. So in the end I have 3 males and only 2 females. The only thing I can think of doing is to put the two females down, since I think their wounds are to great and as for the males, I am not sure as to what I should do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My goal is to raise quail for the eggs, and maybe eventually for the meat. And of course the droppings for my gardens.

Thanks

-Peter

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Quail Help PLEASE!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:57 am 
Global Moderator

pchesky wrote:
I got 6 quail to start with. I told the person I wanted 5 females and 1 male. I trusted the guy knew how to sex them but unfortunately he did not. I had lost one quail early on, he escaped the quail pen I build when I had the door open. The 5 that were left were doing great for a while. Then all of a sudden one of them were beating the crap out of two of them. So I looked up the information about how quail react to each other and all and found out how to sex them last night. This morning I found two of the quail in the nesting box almost none responsive. They were still alive, but one had a pretty bad wound on her head/neck area. And the other looked like the eyes were having problems.

I checked the other birds that looked fine and found out they were males. So in the end I have 3 males and only 2 females. The only thing I can think of doing is to put the two females down, since I think their wounds are to great and as for the males, I am not sure as to what I should do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My goal is to raise quail for the eggs, and maybe eventually for the meat. And of course the droppings for my gardens.

Thanks

-Peter

Peter,

I would recommend getting some new females. split them up 1 female to 2 males and 1 female to 3 males. If u cant split them up, the cage size needs to be increased to handle more females so there is no fighting over the females.

mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:44 pm 

Mark wrote:
Peter,

I would recommend getting some new females. split them up 1 female to 2 males and 1 female to 3 males. If u cant split them up, the cage size needs to be increased to handle more females so there is no fighting over the females.

mark

I am assuming from your last sentence that the first part of your comment you mean 1 male to 2 females or 1 male to 3 females, is this right? What I did to start with was take the females out (after learning from youtube how to determine the sex). Then after a few day of the male and females not even seeing each other and the females healing a bit I put one female in and right away a male tried to mate, and the others were peaking her. So I took out of the 3 males the two more aggressive out of the cage. So now there are 2 females to the 1 male. I will have to try and sell the two males, or just give them away.

Thanks Mark for your info, and if you could confirm your reply.

Thanks Again.

-Peter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:00 pm 
Global Moderator

pchesky wrote:
Mark wrote:
Peter,

mark

I am assuming from your last sentence that the first part of your comment you mean 1 male to 2 females or 1 male to 3 females, is this right? What I did to start with was take the females out (after learning from youtube how to determine the sex). Then after a few day of the male and females not even seeing each other and the females healing a bit I put one female in and right away a male tried to mate, and the others were peaking her. So I took out of the 3 males the two more aggressive out of the cage. So now there are 2 females to the 1 male. I will have to try and sell the two males, or just give them away.

Thanks Mark for your info, and if you could confirm your reply.

Thanks Again.

-Peter

yeah, sorry about that its 1 male to 2 or 3 females