HowtoRaiseQuail.com

Raising Quail Forum
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Button quails
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:42 pm 

Hi! l was wondering if anyone could tell me when the breeding season is for Button Quails? When it begins? When it Ends?
l'm not sure if this has been covered here or not, but l'm getting mixed times for their breeding season.
Thanks for your time....Ladyquail07

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Button quails
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:35 am 
Hi,

I have never raised button quail but I have come across some information on the button quail. I usually am trying to find information on raising coturnix quail.

I do know that the button quail mature quickly and start laying eggs as early as 6 weeks of age as do the coturnix. Now as far as the breeding season, I would assume that the button quail are like any other quail. For quail to begin breeding they need a certain amount of light and the right temperature. This is the reason that quail's breeding season usually starts in the Spring and ends in early Fall. The days start getting longer and the temperature warmer.

Now with button quail, many people keep these in their house as pets. By doing so, they have the light and temperature needed to breed all year round. I know that you can use artificial lighting to fool other breeds of quail into breeding longer than their normal breeding season.

This is why I would assume you may be getting conflicting information on the button quail breeding season. The breeder's that keep them in their house or a controlled type environment have them breeding all year long. Then the breeder's that don't keep them like this have a different length of breeding season. I have actually read somewhere that the button quail's breeding season is from the middle of February through the middle of November.

I do know with other quail, even when using a controlled environment to keep your quail breeding and laying. You should not do this all year round, it is hard on the females and they should be given around a 3 month break. This is usually done by cutting back on the amount of light. I would think if raising in your home, you would have to cover their cage so they don't get the amount of light require for laying.

I don't know if this will help or not, as I said it is just an assumption based on what I know about other breeds of quail.

Good Luck,
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:46 pm 

Thanks JoeW....what you are saying does make sense with what l have read already.
This is the first year that my son and husband have starting breeding Button Quails. Any information is always great.....
Thanks again for your time.......Ladyquail07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:16 pm 
Global Moderator

In their natural state they breed from mid-May until Late summer,
generally August (when they go into their summer molt).
However since they are raised indoors, they will breed year round
unless care is taken to create an artificial "winter."
I generally start to lessen the amount of light they receive in
October, and by the middle of November they only get 8 hours of
daylight...that gives them a chance to recoup from a long laying
season. By resting the birds they live and breed well for at least 6-8
years.
I start gradually increasing the light again toward the end of
February,( depending on the weather conditions) That way they are in
full production again by The end of March and/or the first of April.
Some people do breed them year round, but they have a high mortality
rate in both their hens and chicks.
The 3 months of rest keeps them healthy and in good production.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:13 pm 

Thanks Mark.....Sounds like this schedule works well for you, will keep this in mind now that Fall is coming.
Thanks again for your time....Ladyquail07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:25 pm 
My CPQ's (button quail) actually take a bit longer to mature than 6 weeks that I read about, they should usually reach Point Of Lay at 14 weeks of age. CPQ's like most Coturnix quail will lay all year long if provided with 14 hours of light, although it is best to give them a rest and let them moult during the winter months.

Suz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:29 pm 

Thanks for the info Suz.....Ladyquail07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:46 pm 
I just got 3 button quail about a month ago. I'm very new to raising quail. And I'm pretty sure I got a male and 2 females. And I'm trying to get them to lay eggs. but so far nothings happened. How can I prsuade them to lay eggs. I'm giving them 14 hrs of light.
Cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:30 am 
Global Moderator

Aceykid wrote:
I just got 3 button quail about a month ago. I'm very new to raising quail. And I'm pretty sure I got a male and 2 females. And I'm trying to get them to lay eggs. but so far nothings happened. How can I prsuade them to lay eggs. I'm giving them 14 hrs of light.
Cool

Give them some time, due to the winter weather they can shut down.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:19 am 
Yep... mine go nuts with a red lamp, so I heat their room with a white light. It's been so cold that they've pretty much had light 24/7. I've found that when the temps warm up, they start to lay again. So just be patient... you may not see eggs until Spring. Smile