HowtoRaiseQuail.com

Raising Quail Forum
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Button Quails-Dropping Dead
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:18 pm 

l was wondering if anyone could help with our baby button quail dying at 3/4 weeks of age? Some of our babies[not all] have been dying....one minute their fine,the next their dead.
We use a vitamin suppliment in their water,fresh food and we clean cages eveyday.The vitamin suppliment we use for the first 5 days,then regular water....we follow the heat lamp temperature suggestions.....
Any ideas/suggestions would be great....need anymore info let me know....my son and hubby are abit upset.
Thanks for your time....Ladyquail07

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Button Quails-Dropping Dead
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:10 pm 
Have you tried some antibiotics the first week? You can get teramyacin at the feed store its very inexspesive and doesnt harm anything. Also what is the temp in the brooder?
We dont have buttons but I have a had a learning experience this year!! GOod LUck!!
Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:10 pm 
Have you tried some antibiotics the first week? You can get teramyacin at the feed store its very inexspesive and doesnt harm anything. Also what is the temp in the brooder?
We dont have buttons but I have a had a learning experience this year!! GOod LUck!!
Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:25 pm 

Hi Annie....Thanks for your reply!
l will check with my local feed store about "Teramyacin." As for the temperature in our brooder...we try to keep it: week 1 95 to 99, week 2 90 to 95 and so on......we try to follow what we have read in the past about droppin it about 5degrees a week.....
Any other suggestions would be great.....
Right now we have a small batch of babies....my son[he's 10] is afraid of loosing some again. l give him so much credit for all his hard work at lookin after these little things.....
Thanks again Annie................Ladyquail07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:04 pm 
Do you notice them doing anything strange?
And they dont display any signs of being sick?
If they dont have the teramyacin..you could try a medicated turkey starter too. It has antibiotics in it.
Question

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:14 pm 

Hi Annie...
The baby button quails show no sign at all, thats why we don't understand why they just drop-dead. lts puzzling...but its something we are going to have to keep an eye on to see if theres something we are doing and/or not-doing.
As for Medicated turkey starter...l will have a look into it at the feed store.
Thanks again for your time.....Ladyquail07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Annie has had her problems this year with her quail and is gaining experience from these problems. Antibiotics could be the answer to your problem. But as I have mentioned to her and it is the answer I will give anyone that has mortality problems or disease problems. No matter how much experience you have, there is only one way to get the correct diagnosis. That being to send one or two of the dead birds to an avian lab.

This needs to be done because there can be more than one problem. You may get lucky and I mean lucky and diagnose one problem and there could be another one that is not visible yet. The lab is the only true way to find out everything that is going on.

If you know you have them in proper temperature and are feeding and watering them properly. You have them in a draft free environment and are keeping their living area as clean as possible. Then you may have a disease problem. This problem could have possibly been passed down from the breeders they came from.

The only way to be sure, is to use a lab.

Annie, I am not trying to step on your toes here. So please don't think that, your help here is greatly appreciated and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

LadyQuail07,
If you live in the States, email me at: support@howtoraisequail.com if your interested in finding a lab. I may be able to help.

To Learn More About Raising Quail Visit:
http://www.howtoraisequail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:37 am 

Hi Gary....
Thanks for your insight into this problem....you are right, a lab is the right way to go to see if there are other issues causing the problems.l have mention this to my hubby and he agrees as well, at this point all the babies we have are still alive....in the meantime we will concider this option.
We are located in Cambridge,Ontario Canada. We have the University of Guelph here...they specialize in all animals from birds, cats,dogs,cows and so on....according to my vet,they are the best around, so l can send one there through my vet.
As always any information is great, especialy when your starting out.....
Thanks again Gary..........Ladyquail07