HowtoRaiseQuail.com

Raising Quail Forum
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brooding on 1/2" hardware cloth, when?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:09 am 
Hello everyone,

I am brooding my first hatch of bobwhites, and I was wondering if anyone know how long before they will do okay on 1/2" hardware cloth? I just finished making a pen for them that is 3 feet deep, 2 feet tall, and 7 feet wide (12 on week old chicks). It is located in my garage right now and is 1/2" hardware cloth on all sides. I'd like to get them in there as soon as I can. Any thoughts as to when? I was planning on having a heat lamp in there for them.

Thanks,
Dan

Post subject: Re: Brooding on 1/2" hardware cloth, when?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:31 am 
sorry dan
just wondering what hardware cloth is I assume it is some kind of mesh that is used for fencing. This is probably yet another example of our 2 countries being seperated by a common language.
(you say tomato and i say tomato).

cheers dan thanks for your time

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:15 pm 
I have always moved them on the 7th day. They seem to do alright. I just try to keep the brooder temperature around 95 degrees an inch or so above floor level. Then drop the temperature by 5 degrees each following week.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:39 pm 
Hardware cloth uses a finer gauge wire to make the screen, as compared a welded wire mesh.

About five minutes after I finished a new 4' x 4' pen and set to chicks in it, I figured the seven day mark too. They started pooping and the waste stayed on top of the wire. Looks like I have a remodel project over the weekend.

I can post pictures, and maybe a cut list if anyone is interested. I didn't take any pictures along the way, but could try to next time.

Thanks,

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:59 pm 
I just built a pen that only has 1/4" wire cloth on the floor. yes some of it stays above the wire, but most of it drops through. I am currently working on a new pen and I think I am going to put 1/2" wire cloth all around. I am of course talking about after brooding is done.