HowtoRaiseQuail.com

Raising Quail Forum
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: changing from incubating to brooding
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:23 am 
I am raising quail trying to establish them at my farm for hunting reasons and it would just be nice to walk the farm and flush wild quail. this is a rarity in ky. I decided to try raising coturnix quail first, because they seem to be the easiest to raise. I eventually want to switch to bob whites.
I have a brooder home built i borrowed from a friend. These eggs are now on their 19 day and are just now hatching. I turned the brooder off after the 18 day thinking I wasn't going to get a hatch. After having to buy a new red light for the brooder I turned it back on. the temp is now at 95 degrees. I have chick starter in the brooder and water. will now add some teryamyacin to the water. How soon should i move them to the brooder

Post subject: Re: changing from incubating to brooding
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:35 am 

Hi there....
You can them in the incubator up to 24 hours or until they are totaly dried. We move ours once we know they are dry...which is usually about 12-15 hours after hatching...
Have the food and water ready right before you move them...this way after you move them you can leave them to settle into their new home...
Anyone else like to add if l missed something, please do..
Hope this helps you out.....Ladyquail07

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:43 am 
thank you. is it normal for corturnix to hatch on the 19 day. I have read 16 days. I have heard 17-18 but never seen someone say 19 days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:51 pm 

Hi Jamie....
l'm not sure what to say...l also have read 16 days, but have seen chicks hatch on the 18/19 days as well.
l just know that, you are suppose to give the chicks an extra day or two because sometimes they need it...
This is our first summer for quail as well....we are still learning things here.Some of our chicks have taken an extra day to hatch as well..
lf there is anyone here that could help Jamie out with more information that would be great....
May l suggest ordering the "ebook" on "How to Raise Quail" thats offered on this site..we did, its like a manual that sits on our diningroom table... we're always looking at it!
Hope this helps......Ladyquail07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:07 pm 
Global Moderator

Quote:
is it normal for corturnix to hatch on the 19 day. I have read 16 days. I have heard 17-18 but never seen someone say 19 days.

Hi Jamie,

I raise Coturnix quail as well, I live in Missouri with the change in weather recently the incubation period for my birds was extended a few days, my last batch should have haved hatched out after 18 days but due to the weather being colder they hatched out a week later and are doing just fine.

Like Ladyquail said, they should be pretty dry before moving them over to the brooder.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:00 pm 
Next question. about how long will they need to stay in the brooder. I know about every week decreasing the temp five degrees. How long before they can servive in a pen with winter coming.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:26 pm 

Hi Jamie...
From what l read you leave Coturnix quails in the brooder for about 4 weeks before moving them to a finishing pen[grow-out pens]. Button quails we leave in our brooder till they are 6 weeks of age....l find this gives both Button and Coturnix quails plenty of time to develop properly.....
Hope this helps....Ladyquail07
P.S. Don't forget to drop your temperature 5 degrees each week, but also keep your eyes on the chicks to ensure they are warm enough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:32 pm 

Hi Jamie.....
l forgot to add.....with winter coming we will be using a heat lamp in our quail hut to keep them fairly warm. l'm not sure how cold you can let it get...we've never had quails in the winter before.
Maybe someone here could help out on this question?
Thanks...Ladyquail07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:06 pm 
I had bob white's through last winter. and they survived winter with no heat. call me mean i guess, but the way I see it is they are a wild bird and they can survive. I just wasn't sure how soon my new baby chicks could survive the cold. I know in nature they are not born this time of year so, I was just curious. I know this type of quail is fairly mature in 6 to 7 weeks. Does this mean they could also survive the could.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:02 pm 

Hi Jamie...
l'm not sure if the younger ones can survive in the cold....l'm curious too!
Anyone else?

Ladyquail07