HowtoRaiseQuail.com

Raising Quail Forum
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: turkey feed
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:16 am 
hi all,
as you know i am very new to this forum, but i would like to let you all know about a little experiment i am undertaking.

i have a clutch of eggs due to hatch 2 January, and i have been wondering whether they will do better on turkey crumbs or the normal chick crumbs i usually raise them on.
so i am going to feed half the hatch on turkey, the other on poultry crumbs, and post the results on here.
it will be a sort of diary/blog with entries every week.
i will weigh and measure the chicks and also record any difference in development.
the experiment will continue untill they are mature at about 10 weeks.
i hope it does not bore any of you too much....lol...

ok so the first difference between the two feeds is the price.....i am afraid i will have to do it in british pounds but i am sure you will get the gist of it....

chick crumbs = £ 8.50 25k bag
turkey starter = £9.50 25k bag

big difference to start with, i am just hoping that the extra money will be worth it.

next entry will be around the 7th of January........

Post subject: Re: turkey feed
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:31 am 
Very interesting. Thank you for the log!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:31 am 
Looking forward to the results Morgana. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:27 am 
Global Moderator

morgana wrote:
hi all,
as you know i am very new to this forum, but i would like to let you all know about a little experiment i am undertaking.

i have a clutch of eggs due to hatch 2 January, and i have been wondering whether they will do better on turkey crumbs or the normal chick crumbs i usually raise them on.
so i am going to feed half the hatch on turkey, the other on poultry crumbs, and post the results on here.
it will be a sort of diary/blog with entries every week.
i will weigh and measure the chicks and also record any difference in development.
the experiment will continue untill they are mature at about 10 weeks.
i hope it does not bore any of you too much....lol...

ok so the first difference between the two feeds is the price.....i am afraid i will have to do it in british pounds but i am sure you will get the gist of it....

chick crumbs = £ 8.50 25k bag
turkey starter = £9.50 25k bag

big difference to start with, i am just hoping that the extra money will be worth it.

next entry will be around the 7th of January........

chick crumbs = £ 8.50 25k bag $16.94 55Lbs bag
turkey starter = £9.50 25k bag $18.94 55Lbs bag

The Results will be nice to see, those prices are high for that size bag, I know in Missouri I have been paying $16 for 100 Lbs of Gamebird Feed which is about what you pay for a 25k bag.

Mark

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:15 am 
i agree the prices are high......they have gone up a lot this year as we had a very wet summer, we were struggling to get our first cut of hay in June, and other crops were suffering too,....... well, that is what the producers are blaming it on.
most of the feed stuffs have jumped dramatically in price, even the feed for my herd of goats has gone sky high, hay in some parts has nearly doubled in price now, last year at this time, it was about £3 bale, i have heard of people charging £6 bale this year. luckily we have a hay barn, so we got ours straight from the field so it was only £1.50 a bale, but i feel sorry for those who have to buy it weekly because they have no storage facilities.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:49 am 
well guys,
the experiment has started.....
i have now separated 60 quial chicks into 2 brooders, one is going to be fed on the normal poultry feed i have been using
the other is going to be fed on turkey starter feed.

each brooder has 30 italian jumbo quail. normal adult weight is aprox 450gms at 12 weeks old.