HowtoRaiseQuail.com

Raising Quail Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Quail Set Up (Picture Heavy)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:06 pm 
I've been looking into this forum for a month or so now, and couldn't help notice the differences between quail keeping in the US & Canada and here in the UK, and thought I'd share a bit about my set up.

I'm a small scale Hobby breeder of mutation Japanese quail and Chinese Painted quail (button quail). I've been keeping quail for about 6 months and so far I haven't encountered many problems, on saying that I incubate/hatch/brood in a much smaller scale than most of the forum members here as my incubator only holds a maximum of 64 Japanese eggs, my most successful hatches have been from my own eggs and are averaging a 95% hatch rate of all fertile eggs, although I'm luck if I get 50% hatch rate on eggs that have been threw the postal system. I brood all my chicks indoors in groups of around 24 per plastic brooder. My chick mortality has been very low I've only lost 11 chicks since I've started this hobby, and these deaths have been due to my mistakes. I lost a couple of chicks by accidental drowning, and lost 9 chicks when the brooder bulb blew and left the 4 day old chicks without heat for hours, luckily I managed to revive the rest of the chicks.

I house my adult quails in a few different ways, my CPQ are housed in Budgie breeding cages in my conservatory, my Jap's are out in two storey rabbit hutches, small poultry arks and I've recently been building cages/pens in my shed.

Here's some photo's of my quail & set up.

Some of my Chick's -

CPQ Housing -

Hutches & Arks -

The New Shed -

Hope I haven't bored you all to much with all my pictures, and look forward to reading any comments.

Suz Smile

Post subject: Re: My Quail Set Up (Picture Heavy)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Suz,

I have to tell you, that the setup and environment you have created for your quail could be in a magazine. They could be a how to create a proper environment for raising quail. It looks like you give the quail a very clean and healthy place to live.

When raising quail, it does take time, effort and a little financial investment to do it the right way. It also takes an ongoing willingness to learn from your quail. Yes it is good to get knowledge from other quail breeder's experience, but if you take the time to study your birds and learn from them. You will be able to tell when their having problems, unhappy or worse. They do have a way of letting you know.

All of your quail in these pictures look very happy and well taken care of. It looks to me, that you are doing one great job.

To Learn More About Raising Quail Visit:
http://www.howtoraisequail.com

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:45 pm 

Hi Suz...
Nice pictures....looks like you put alot of thought into your pens. l agree with Gary......you should be in a magazine!!
Thanks for sharing.....Ladyquail07

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:23 am 
Great pics!

I'm still in the phase of deciding what kind of cages I want to build. your pics helped a lot. They look really good! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:59 pm 
Very Nice I love the movable pen. Nice design. Now I just need to put my husband to work!! Very Happy